Snowboarder Hagen Kearney Admits to Using Racial Slur: ‘Utter Stupidity’

Snowboarder Hagen Kearney admitted to using a racial slur in an Instagram post Saturday morning.

Kearney, 30, is representing the United States in the 2022 Winter Olympics in Beijing. He wrote that he used “the N word” during an argument in a van ride—while near former teammate Callan Chythlook-Sifsof—in December 2013 and said he is “still ashamed about using that word to this day.”

“It was an act of utter stupidity and disgusting behavior on my part,” Kearney wrote. “I immediately regretted what I had done.”

After the incident, the coaches were notified of his use of the slur and he faced being “let go” from the team, he wrote. He wrote that he “apologized profusely to” to Chythlook-Sifsof “own up to the horrible word” and “salvage our friendship.”

“Callan was reluctant to accept my apology, but she did and I was very grateful for that,” he wrote. “I did not have the same head on my shoulders back then as I do now and Callan was a huge part of me changing and growing as human. I am a bigger and better person now.”

His post follows Chythlook-Sifsof, who competed at the Winter Olympics in 2010, accusing him of “routinely and continuously” using the n-word “intentionally to get under my skin” in an Instagram post. She wrote that at one point he allegedly “cupped his hands to his mouth and yelled the n-word on repeat about 20 times as we walked.”

Kearney responded: “At no point during this instance did I fake punch at her, follow her, shout the N word repeatedly, and I have certainly never made rape jokes while being on this team.”

This is a breaking news story that will be updated when more information becomes available.

Hagen Kearney admits to using slur
Hagen Kearney, seen above in February 2018 in Pyeongchang-gun, South Korea, admitted to using a racial slur on Saturday.
Chris Graythen/Getty Images

Snowboarder Hagen Kearney Admits to Using Racial Slur: ‘Utter Stupidity’
Source: Gwapo Pinoys PH

About admin

This is a short description in the author block about the author. You edit it by entering text in the "Biographical Info" field in the user admin panel.

0 comments:

Post a Comment